Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) is important for us because it’s involved in more than 100 enzyme reactions in the body’s cells, helping us metabolize amino acids from our food and build new red blood cells. It is needed for protein and carbohydrate metabolism, immune function and steroid hormone activity.
The elderly, women (especially those on the contraceptive pill), people with thyroid disease and people who drink excessive amounts of alcohol, are the most at risk getting symptoms of a deficiency.
As B6 influences brain processes and development, a deficiency can lead to muscle weakness, depression, irritability, short term memory loss, nervousness, and difficulty concentrating.
Following beneficial effects are claimed by the “European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)”:
Vitamin B6 contributes to:
- normal cysteine synthesis
- normal energy-yielding metabolism
- normal functioning of the nervous system
- normal homocysteine metabolism
- normal protein and glycogen metabolism
- normal psychological function
- normal red blood cell formation
- normal function of the immune system
- the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- the regulation of hormonal activity
Taking any one of the B vitamins as a single supplement for a long period of time can result in an imbalance of other important B vitamins. For this reason, it is recommendable to take a supplement, which includes the full spectrum of the B vitamins.
We at Vitaalia offer the complete range of all 8 B-vitamins (“neurotropic vitamins”) in optimal dosages in handy spray bottle as the sublingually absorption through the mouth is a very fast way to deliver the vitamins into the bloodstream. You can also find the full spectrum of B-vitamins in our Multivitamin & Minerals plus tablets.